Do I have a gas leak?
Smell: Natural gas is odorless, but Indiana Utilities adds Mercaptan, so you may smell rotten eggs?
Sound: You may hear a blowing or hissing sound at or near a leak?
Sight: Do you see bubbles in a wet or flooded area? Is there dead vegetation at the area?
If you smell, hear or see a possible leak what do you do???
- Exit the building as quickly and safely as possible on foot, DO NOT start any motor vehicles in the area.
- DO NOT relight any pilot lights that may have gone out.
- DO NOT turn off or on any lights, make any phone calls using cell or landline phones (if you notice the odor while on the phone DO NOT hang up)
- DO NOT turn off or on any appliances as any of these can be an ignition source.
- Do not use matches.
- Go to a neighbor’s home and call Indiana Utilities Corporation at 812-738-3235 or after hours 1-800-589-8142 or call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
- Please Do NOT RE-Enter the building until told the area is safe by an Indiana Utilities Corporation service technician
- Shutdown & abandon any equipment being used in or near the area.
- Avoid an open flame or other sources of ignition. DO NOT start any motor vehicles or electrical equipment.
- Stay clear of the area until the fire department or Indiana Utilities Corporation technician says it is safe to return.
- DO NOT attempt to operate any pipeline valves.
- Call Indiana Utilities Corporation at 812-738-3235 or after hours 1-800-589-8142 or call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.